9.20.2011

sync: mad men editorial


Photo by Arshia Khan

I thought about it and couldn't come up with a single good way to transition from yesterday's blog post to today's. As much as I miss my sweet Monkeycat, I know that the show must go on. :( Thank you all so much for your condolences. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your stories and thoughts. It means so much to me. ♥

Today's post is all about some work I did for the fall fashion issue of Sync. The chief photographer, Arshia Khan, and the art director, Stacy Bowers, decided on a Mad Men themed shoot for the spread and asked if I'd like to participate in the planning. It was unlike anything I had done with Sync before (or any other publication, for that matter), and I jumped at the opportunity. I helped with booking the models, styling the looks, and planning the scenes and locations. They even shot a few of the looks in my house!

I also have a separate article in the same issue about how to wear white after Labor Day. I styled one of my old etsy models, Katy Tipton (maybe you remember her?), in white denim and gave tips on how to transition white clothing for fall. You can read both articles here (Mad Men pg.12-16, post-Labor Day pg. 17), but you better read fast. The new issue comes out tomorrow! It looks like it the new issue came early this week, so the Mad Men editorial is gone. You can still read the post-Labor Day article here.

P.S. I feel like I have to say this since my name is on the article: I did not write or know anything about the title of the post-Labor Day article "No More White Flight" before seeing it in print. I don't usually write my own headlines, but I realize now that I need to start. I assume the author didn't consider the racial undertones of the phrase "white flight", but for me, I can hardly glance at the article without thinking about all the negative connotations. I have no hard feelings towards the person that wrote it, I just needed to get on my soapbox in some kind of public arena. Thanks.



No comments: