9.28.2011

RRL by Ralph Lauren


The new RRL collection by Ralph Lauren may be one of the best men's collections I've seen in a while. The photos look so convincingly old-fashioned and the styling has such an early-twentieth century, back-roads kind of feel to it. Every character reminds me of someone I've seen in photos on the Life website or in vintage photos around the web, making me think of late-nineteenth century gold diggers and cowboys and farming families from the 30s and 40s. Then there's the two dapper gentlemen who look more sophisticated and strikingly similar to Oscar Wilde and Aubrey Beardsley –– or at least the photos and clothes look like replications of their portraits. It makes me wonder if there are anymore influences from The Yellow Book in this collection, too, and what photos were hanging on the RRL mood board when they organized this shoot.  It's definitely one of those "i wish my boyfriend shopped here" kind of places. . .





No comments: