7.29.2010

Collector's Books

I'm feeling a bit like a hermit again. My outfits have been less than interesting lately, and I've been spending a lot of extra time editing shop photos and putting together a film project that Hannah and I are going to shoot on Monday. I bought a pretty 50's sundress at Blue Suede Shoes the other day, and I'm hoping to get out and photograph it later today. Miss Hootie fixed up my hair and gave me a fresh fringed bang cut in exchange for one of the swimsuits from my shop, and I'm really excited to share it with you guys. Today's post is going to be nerdier than most and probably as uninteresting as any outfit I could've posted, but it's one of those non fashion related things that I'm really into and thought would be nice to share.

After talking about collector's books at a house warming party on Tuesday night, I decided to make a run to my local used bookstore. It's a really great place with dirt cheap prices, and I usually end up walking away with too much. You can't beat the prices though. I think the most expensive book I bought was $7, but most were sold for under $5.

Copyright 1951

It thought this one was a must read for any little boy (or girl) out there. I wish I would've learned how to use tools when I was a child!

Copyright 1956

Ever since taking that art history course last semester, my eyes have been opened to all kinds of  different paintings. I'm sure this is no surprise, but lately I've been drawn to the ones with soft colors and young girls wearing pretty dresses. They've been an immense source of inspiration.

Copyright 1977

So, yeah, I'm a super dork. My neighborhood was built between the 1700's and the 1900's, and I'm  always fascinated by the different architectural styles I see. I usually have trouble finding the proper terminology for things when I write about them, so I thought this book would be a great reference to help me learn the jargon.

No copyright date.

I say I bought this one for Jake, but I really got it because it was old and interesting. He usually acts real uninterested when I buy him things like this, but he always ends up using them at some point. It's 200 pages worth of music terminology and noteworthy musicians, and in my opinion, a pretty neat reference for someone who's always looking for good, old music to sample (ahem, Jake).

Copyright 1881

This was just one of those good collector's items that I couldn't pass up for $3. My house is full of old books that I love to use in my photos and passing it up just wasn't an option. Maybe one day I'll be rich with a big, manly library full of old books and paintings and mounted antlers hanging on the wall. 

 
Copyright 1866

Another Collectible.
February 1989

I wish the library had more old magazines, but sadly this was the only good one I could find. There's a great article on photographer John Vachon in there with lots of priceless photos to match. I liked this one of Marilyn Monroe; the caption reads:

"Marilyn Monroe, accompanied by Joe DiMaggio and her entourage, escaped to the Canadian Rockies, sprained an ankle, and pouted for Vachon, who'd been told to treat her "like a fellow out with a girl". (1953)"

Copyright 1919

I'll admit I was really drawn to the unique cover design and crumbling old pages of this book, but I'm actually very interested to read it now. Written during the controversial prohibition era, it follows one doctor's studies over a ten year period on the effects of alcohol on the human body and mind and it's effect upon society and nations.

Copyright 1901

This was the expensive book that I'm probably most excited about. As soon as I saw it I fell in love with the green suede cover that the author and title were embroidered on, and then I saw it was written by Elbert Hubbard! I actually have one of his other books, The Notebook of Elbert Hubbard (copyright 1927), and ever since reading it last summer I've idolized his positive outlook on life. He was a very self aware man who was a great force in business, art, literature, and philosophy. I was curious as to his relation to L. Ron Hubbard (no, I don't practice Scientology), and after looking it up I found that Elbert was actual L. Ron's uncle. L. Ron Hubbard admired him greatly, and even dedicated one of his Dianetics to him. I was trying to find a little more information about the book I thrifted when I found this really great quote that explains it all. 

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill, but TIME and CHANCE happeneth to them all."

Copyright 2001

Finally, finally, finally --I told you I always buy too much-- I found this documentary on director Stanley Kubrick, narrated by Tom Cruise. Hello, A Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and many, many others. Jake and I are both big fans of his work, and I'm always looking to learn more about directors and their creative processes since it's kind of 'what I want to be when I grow up'. His work is much darker than anything I ever care to do but it's fascinating none the less.

I told you I'm a big nerdy dork who sometimes cares more about books than dresses. Hopefully this was enjoyable or inspiring to someone out there!

15 comments:

Kaylie said...

Well, this was enjoyable to me! I absolutely love old books, though the only old ones I ever seem to buy are dictionaries.

These are all such great finds. I especially like the math books.

moonshinejunkyard said...

hey, i just started working at the used bookstore in my town. i've been friends with the owners for years and now i'm finally working there too. it's heaven to immerse myself in the maze of shelves of thousands of books, old new and everything in between. i am afraid i'll never have a paycheck though because i want every single book. no matter which section i'm organizing i find books i want, from nude portraits of women to origami to planets to rune magic to classics. agh!!!! books are life in my opinion, and you got some beautiful ones. oh we have a great film and music section too. darin comes in and spends an hour and goes home with a stack of weird interesting stuff.

ashleyn said...

I absolutely enjoyed this post. It is always a must to be well read and digging into past books is a useful and creative way to gain such knowledge! Thank you for sharing with us.

Christy said...

Great post! I have a thing for old books, and these are some really wonderful ones. "Tools for Andy" is so adorable, and I'd be curious to hear more about the contents of "Alcohol and the Human Race."

KANI said...

wow! i've recently been taking a great interest in old books too, and have found myself constantly scouring thrift shop book shelves for musty old reads. there's something about the aged hard covers, almost yellow pages that make them appear so beautiful to me!

i love your finds! the tool book is so cute!

Abigail Oliveros said...

I love your taste in books <3

Bea said...

Old books are wonderful so it's really great that you shared these. I especially love the influence of art history in your styling. I can see the colors and silhouettes in your last 'look book'. :)

B from A plus B

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

Ahh I also adore old books/magazines...I swear they don't make illustrations like they used to anymore! Awesome collection of images =)

xx
MILK TEETHS

FESI-NOIR said...

I just discovered your blog and I think it's lovely!

xx fesi-fashion

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

wow. these are so very interesting.

Alicia said...

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing; I collect weird old books, too. Please feel free to post to your heart's desire about all your nerdy book finds - I'm into it!

Also, you're an Elbert Hubbard fan? That's cool! Do you know about the Roycroft? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roycroft I'm getting married there later this year. I actually don't know a lot about it, other than Elbert Hubbard started it up and it's super gorgeous. I should read up.

Emma said...

Oh my goodness, those math problems melted my brain! Love these books, thanks for sharing!

Charlotte. said...

i love old books so much! i would also love a library full of these kinds of books!

an American placed among the English said...

So cool that you found a Hubbard book!!!! I work in a paper museum in Atlanta, and the guy who endowed our collection was named Dard Hunter -- who made loads of beautiful books for/with the Roycrofters and Hubbard -- and the books we have are SUPREMELY expensive!! You lucked out! Hubbard's such an interesting guy....the arts and crafts movement is fascinating to me! Especially the rise of the book art craft -- one of my favorite things are beautifully made books! :)

Miss Woody said...

gorgeous books !