5.25.2010

Pirelli Calendar: Robert Freeman 1964 & Brian Duffy 1965

I'm not sure how many of you have taken notice of my creative lull in blogging here lately, but it's been pretty hard to stay on track when my brain is only working at half speed. My confidence has been acting flaky, and I think it's starting to show in my work. I'm thinking that maybe I'm just bored with the same 'ole daily outfit posts.

In an attempt to spice up my regular routines I'm going to set up a schedule for the blog. Outfits four days a week and inspiration on the other three. I may have to tweak that a little bit, but I'm going to wait and see if things fall into place on their own. If there's one 'inspiration' day that is set in stone it's Tuesday's, and it's going to be the moment I tell you about some of my favorite photographers. I figure since photography is such a big deal to me I should pass on the the photos that inspire me most.

To add another subcategory to my schedule I'm getting even more specific with the photography I'll be showing for the next few weeks. The Pirelli Calendar is world famous for it's girlishness and glamour photography, and it includes some of my favorite vintage photography inspiration from the 60's and the 70's. Although it's gotten a little racier and less and less inspiring to me over the years, it still showcases some great work from the photographers of our time. You'll never guess who's slated to do the 2011 calendar...

I'll tell you at the end of the post. :D


To kick it all off I'm starting with it's first year of production, 1964, which was photographed by Robert Freeman in Majorca, Spain. The thing I love about the 60's is that rich color in all their photographs that's so distinct to that moment in time. They remind me a lot of all the old National Geographics Jake and I have saved up over the past few years. They make me crave a beach trip (which will have to be somewhere other than my aunt and uncles in Gulf Shores this year. :(BP).


Since I could only find two photos from Robert Freeman and since the photos from the 1965 issue matched the others so well, I went ahead and combined the two for this post. These were done by Brian Duffy in the South of France and are so appropriate for the things I'm loving right now: blue, stripes, anchors. These two sets are such great summer inspiration, and since temperature are already soaring so high here I can't help but be in the mood for the beach!

Oh... and to answer the cliffhanger, Karl Lagerfield is doing the 2011 calendar!

Also, I've gotta thank Marissa for featuring me as her 'Blogger to Admire' for the month of May. She gave me a confidence boost when I needed it most, and for that I have to thank her! Today's also that last day to enter the Ollie Otson necklace giveaway, so get your entries in before it's too late.

19 comments:

Carys said...

Those pictures are so cool!!
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Leire said...

You do a great job with your blog, don't worry and cheer up, whatever you decide will be fine :) And those pics are great! :)

moonshinejunkyard said...

aw, i had not even noticed a "creative lull" and i especially loved the photos of you and little ocean annie! however, i do LOVE this new feature. i've never heard of this calendar (alas, the sequestered life of a country girl) but i am so dying over these photos. i do love how the colors and themes fit into some of the "sailor" looks that you've posted here. i can tell you are aligned with this 60s aesthetic and i admire it greatly. i know next to nothing about photography, especially fashion photography, so it will be a delight to catch up on some knowledge on tuesdays!

keep it up, girl, you are wonderful!

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

I try to stick to a schedule as well. Mainly because if I don't I won't get any work done (being your own boss requires A LOT of discipline), but it also helps me to stay focused and inspired. I hope the same for you!

Meghan said...

Your blog rocks! I'm looking forward to hearing how setting up a schedule will work for you.

I can't believe I've never heard of these calendars! I'm craving a beachy vacay now, hard!

CHRISTI JAY said...

ohhhh this makes me wish i was on a boat right now! what a lovely collection of photos, i love how your outfit below fits so appropriately in this collection.

sleepydarlings.blogspot.com

Q's Daydream said...

These are wonderful!
and that's awesome you're still going to do outfit posts 4 times a week! I'm lucky if i get in two, haha :o)

JessS said...

Got to your blog through Marissa. It's so lovely. Can't wait to see all the upcoming outfit posts.

Sofie said...

I just found you blog through Marissa, and I'm happy I did! I love your blog! It's full of wonderful things and thoughts, and I congratulate you; you have created something wonderful. ^^

xx Sophie

http://sophieneechan.blogspot.com

Myriam said...

D'awh, I think you're fabulous...no need to doubt yourself.

Speaking of 60s, I just watched this "groovy" Peter Sellers film last night called "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!" I was practically drooling over the cute shift dresses and it actually had a fun plot. Check it out!

Sara said...

How cool! I set up a schedule awhile back because I was getting bored. I love that you are going to have inspiration posts! :)

A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie said...

You & your blog are always such an inspiration, so whatever turn you decide to take with your blog, I will continue to be a loyal follower! Love this post!

http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com
http://closetfullofgoodies.blogspot.com

Arianne said...

But I do love your outfit posts. I think I'm going to like the Pirelli if they go on with the nautical theme. :P

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to read about your favorite photographers!

-Elizabeth
Style and the City

Anonymous said...

Hi Starr,

I love old Pirelli calendars too, especially that gorgeous extra saturated 60's color. I know we all have days when we have self-doubts, etc, but I hope you know that I think you're the bee knees (and I know I'm not the only one!) and I'm never bored of your daily outfit photos or your photoshoots, or even little charming peeks into your life and your abode.

xoxo Jenny

Hunter said...

Just been catching up on your latest posts. I loved "Preparing For a Shoot" ...for some reason it just really inspired me. And these '60s photos... just epic!

<333

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I love the one with the umbrellas!

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

i feel like i'd REALLY love that white bathing suit up top.

ps - i have the yellow dress photographed and ready to go!

Elvis Jesus Clothing said...

These pictures are fabulous! I miss the beach