6.21.2010

Interview: Kristen Reitzer of Sleepyhead Vintage

 I remember the instant love I felt when I first stumbled upon Sleepyhead Vintage back in February when I was doing a thorough Ebay dig for 1960's mini dresses. I was completely enamored with every aspect of the shop and all the vintage goods that filled the pages. I posted about my discovery just hours after finding it, and now I back with a nice little interview with the brains behind the shop, Kristen Reitzer.
 
Name: Kristen Reiter
Age: 28
Town: Chicago for the time being, my husband I plan to move to NYC next summer.
When did you open your shop, Sleepyhead Vintage? I started SHV about 3 1/2 years ago, though I sold "new" items on another ID for a year before that.


What inspired you to start selling vintage? Well, I've been obsessed with vintage and thrift shopping since I was about 14, so it seemed like a lot more fun than working retail or selling used Banana Republic and Anthropologie dresses. I also liked the creative freedom and the chance to do some styling/marketing/web design. And of course being my own boss is great!
Where do you find the clothes for your shop? Everywhere! Any place that sells vintage, I'm there. Usually resale and thrift shops.



Do you have a favorite decade? That's tough to decide. I especially love the transition period between Victorian and 20s, the early 1900s art deco stuff. I also love the 60s because there's so much variety.
Favorite online shops? I'm always so impressed with the selection and volume at Thriftwares, I love the amazing older dresses at Mill Street Vintage. I also love my friend Holly's shop at Pixie Society Vintage, but my favorite thing is hunting for treasures at smaller, unknown shops on ebay.


Favorite blogs? For fashion, I always love Style Bubble. I also love the photography on Lullie Vintage's blog. And, of course, A Thought is the Blossom!
Do you have a blog/ever plan to start one? I don't currently have a blog, but I've been kicking around the idea of starting one.
Links to your shop: Sleepyhead Vintage




Thank you, Kristen! 

Isn't everything amazing! There are always tons of good listings popping up on her site, so be sure to add Sleepyhead Vintage to your ebay favorites. 

13 comments:

Rosie said...

ooh she's got some really good stuff! Jealous!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Very lovely! Going to see her shop now.

M. said...

these clothes are amazing, I'm heading over there now! Great interview Starr :)

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Fabiola "Fab" said...

I've seen her shop on ebay and loved it! I actually have a similar dress that she has in her shop. she's got some gorgeous beauties in her shop!

Rebecca said...

That girl really has an eye for a goo dress!

Away with the fairy's said...

I want ever single dress featured! new addict here!

http://illustratemypillowcase.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

love all the sweet dresses:) xoxo fashion geek

Maria Confer said...

Holey Moley! These are some amazing vintage finds. I must check out her shop!!

Excellent interview Starr.

Lulu Letty

Jenni said...

What a keen shop! I'm glad I know about it now!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those minidresses are all 100% beautiful. I wonder if she has any maxidresses besides the one listed ..... :)

xo,
nancy

swayreport.blogspot.com

April said...

She has such a good eye!

Jen Hsieh said...

oh my goodness, these vintage pieces are so fantastic! i feel the temptation rising within me to go shop! :P

ChYmEc!nDy** said...

So pretty :)