9.16.2010

NYFW Recap

The trip to New York was such a fun and enlightening experience. I'm having trouble getting back into the groove of things back at home due to exhaustion and loads of tests to study for and pictures to edit, but I feel like I at least owe you guys a 'hello, I'm home' post.

Before I say anything else, I want to thank my guest bloggers for doing such a beautiful job at translating my silly back to school theme while I was away. It's always an added bonus to go on vacation and still have fun posts going up on my blog, and just as much as they're a surprise to you guys, they're equally the same for me. Anja, Myriam, Jennifer, and Quincy, you girls are the bee knees. Thanks for holding things down for me while I was away since I didn't have a laptop to keep up.
b1
Now for a New York recap! It was so nice to meet some of my favorite bloggers in the city and really get to know them on a more personal level. Some were exactly what I expected them to be while others were far different than I ever could have imagined. It's was strange getting to meet some of my favorite blogger for the first time. You can't help but break the feeling that you've somehow already met before, because in a big way you already have! It's fun to put a voice to a face for the first time and to hear such a variety of accents all in one place. Here I am thinking I've got a pretty subtle southern accent until Teika tells me that it's pretty obvious I'm from the south. I guess my use of y'all in every other sentence was the dead giveaway! To be honest, I don't know what word to use in place of y'all. I've only been out of the south a handful of times in my entire life! Then there's Jenny who pointed out how cute she thought my lisp was when I had convinced myself that I learned to talk without it years ago. I guess I was wrong!

blo
The Chictopia event was great and the panelists had a lot of relevant topics to talk about, but to tell you the truth, all it made me want to do was go back to my minuscule life and forget about trying to get my blog on the virtual map. Sure I appreciate them opening my eyes to the importance of things like SEO, trend forecasting, and social media sites—some of which I was already aware of—but the deeper and deeper the conversations got, the less and less I cared about branding myself for the online world. I know that the image I create of myself here on my blog is, at the end of the day, considered a brand, but it just kills me to think about it like that. I want to be seen as Starr, the girl who lives her life wearing cheap, vintage pieces and not as A Thought Is The Blossom the brand. And if a company wants to send me something for free, that's great, but I want it to fit in with my life and my style. I guess all I can hope for is that you guys will continue to see me that way no matter what direction this blog goes in the future. I don't say any of this to knock anybody who does have the goal for their blog; it's just not my thing at this time.
nyfw12
All that said, I did absorb a lot of useful tips from the event and from chatting with fellow bloggers, and I plan to make a few subtle changes on my blog over the next few weeks. I probably won't be attending the Chictopia event next year, but I'm glad I got to take part in at least this once. More than anything I enjoyed shopping and jabbering with the bloggers that I consider to be close friends. It feels like I just deepened my relationship with a handful of girls that I genuinely care about as people, blog or no blog included. And now rather than blog comments, tweets, and emails, I hope to get a few text messages every now and then too!
b2
What an experience this blog has led me on though. It allowed me to take my first trip to New York without doing it all by myself! I wish I would've had more free time to explore the city, but I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities for that. For now, I'm happy to be back to my normal, boring life here in Arkansas free of subways, taxis, and a zillion people on the streets—although I will miss Madewell, Zara, and H&M. It's probably best I don't have those shops around though. If I did, I wouldn't be the thrifty, vintage-wearing girl you've all come to know.
b3
Annie, Jenny, Mel, Lucy, Jen, Jasmine, Teika, Elizabeth, Morgan, and Merl—it was a pleasure to meet you cool cats and thanks for being so sweet and engaging me in conversations I would have never got to have here at home. Sorry if I inconvenienced any of you with my three year old palette—I really should come with a disclaimer.
Little Ocean Annie, it was great to see you again! No more skipping snacks or that babies going to come out hating you. I kid! But seriously, take care of yourself and that Josh.
nyfw8
Too bad I only took proper outfit photos on the last day! I'm waiting to get those photos back from Annie, so hopefully I'll be able to show you one of my NYC outfits tomorrow! Big thanks to Jasmine for letting me steal some of her photos.

34 comments:

Amanda said...

So glad to hear you had a great time! These photos are amazing!

I've never thought I had a Texas accent until I went to CA and it was pointed out all the time. Ah, oh well.

I think I'll always see you as Starr, but you know that already. You come through so well in you're writing, I'm not sure what you could do to change that.

Catherine said...

Ah, I believe I briefly introduced myself at Chictopia10, but I'll just tell you again - you're one of my favorite bloggers!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in NYC... it's such a fun city that can't really be explored completely in just a few days.

And shall I mention I love the dreaminess these photos exude - even though they're from the largest city in the country! I think that this is one of many ways that your readers see things from your perspective, which is one of the best part of reading blogs.

amanda said...

great recap. i love how you genuinely talked about the conference and the ideas that came from it. i think it's important for all bloggers to want to be who they are no matter what their goals are for the blog. it shouldn't matter if you want to brand yourself or get sponsorships or make the blog a fulltime job, you should still be yourself. i have got to make it over to LR to meet you!!! it just doesn't make sense that i haven't yet, i mean it's not like we're that far apart. i would love to go to the conference next year just so i can meet other bloggers. that at least seemed super fun! love your pics, and truly your outfit was so cute! love the tee with the skirt :)

Jennifer Dawn said...

Great photos! Looks like you had a blast :)

http://andohsofancy.blogspot.com

vogueish said...

such a lively...experience..and also...great post...
love your blog...!!!!

Nico said...

i love all of the photos you took! you look so cute in all of them (as usual!). i love how you spoke the truth about your blog, it's very refreshing to see that you do it because you love it. it really shows too! and holy crap next time you're in new york, i'd love to meet up!!!!
<3

Q's Daydream said...

What a great time! I can't imagine being around so many bloggers. It's funny over the last year I have met four bloggers and all of them have become what I consider friends, texts included ;o)
and keep your blog just the way it is, because it's perfect!

mariska said...

such a great time there,,
i love those photos...
=D

xoxo

Annie, Time Enough for Drums said...

I totally agree with you about leaving the conference and hating the idea of making my blog a brand. I don't want to be corporate, I don't want to feed a capitalist discourse. I just want to have fun and find artistic expression in the meanwhile. I absolutely 100% enjoyed every minute we spent together, and I feel so lucky to have been able to meet and stay with you! I hope we'll meet again, and that it won't be too far in the future. Love, Annie.

Jasmine said...

yay so glad the photos worked out :) i'm so so so so so so so so so so freaking happy we met and hung out for basically a whole day! you're seriously the sweetest, cutest, best person ever and i miss you lots already (we need to exchange phone numbers so i can text you!). i agree with you on not wanting to work on branding myself, i'm just not at that point yet. i don't want this thing that brings me so much pleasure to suddenly become a business. i just want to hang out with you all forever! please keep being your vintage self because that's what i love about you, but next time, we're gonna go crazy at these major stores together! :)

Robin said...

NYC how great for you to go and experience the big apple. and those Macroons look so delicous. Its good to have you back. I have to admit I'm glad you said what did, honestly my favorite blogs are not the ones that look all professional and are not the ones that are branded something about those types of blogs that have a somewhat detached feel to them , without mentioning any names there was this one Blog thats quite popular and the pictures are goregous but something about it disn't mesh for me just not my thing I guess, my absolute favorite blogs have a very personal feel to them, to me that is what makes them unique and fun to read and tune into everyday. However I'm sure that no matter what you choose to do it will be right for you

Marloes. said...

Great shots! I hope to go to NY some time too...

thestylesandwich.blogspot.com

Mel said...

Great post, fantastic pics...and yummie macaroons ;)

Seems you had a wonderful time,

xo, Mel

http://mel-lifesalabyrinth.blogspot.com/

vintagewithatwist said...

looks like everyone had a great time at NYFW! I love reading everyone's posts :)

moonshinejunkyard said...

aw, i sooo love the things you say. you always say it right and seem to have a sweet spirit about you and a positive attitude even if there were things that didn't jive for you about the conference. and annie from time enough for drums, i love her comment above...so true...the whole idea is actually kinda disturbing but what do i know. to me nothing should be a "brand," the very word is grotesque. i LOVE your approach, and your dearest blogger friends, and i also love what robin said above and sooooo agree. i love that your readers provide such great points of view, and that you are the kind of blogger who tells your truth and respects others fully as well. thanks for being YOU and for making the new york experience about friendship and fun, as it should be.

Bea said...

Yeah, that does sound rather nauseating. A brand!! But my blog is me. It seems like stuffing yourself into a rather small hole. It's so wonderful to hear how you and many of the great bloggers out there don't fall into this sort of mentality. We love you for being genuine, Starr :)

Bea from A plus B

Jen said...

it was amazing getting to meet you this past weekend! you're seriously one of the sweetest people i've had the chance to meet in my life and we better cross paths again!
i'm glad i'm not the only one who didn't want to completely brand myself even though it happens naturally to some extent. keep on doing what you're doing and i can't wait to see what's in store for your blog! :) <3

Sally Jane Vintage said...

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful time and got to meet lots of fellow bloggers. I was more than happy to help out while you were away. :)

Estefany said...

Glad to hear it was fun, Starr!
Your hat looks really cute on you! Oh my, that picture of the hole is so hilarious and random.

Have a nice weekend xo

Beatrice said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! It must have been so awesome to meet all those lovely girls! ^.^

Rosie said...

Aw Starr, I really wish I could have made it down there to hang out with all you lovely ladies! It looks like you had bunches of fun!

Justice Pirate said...

how very beautiful and fun it seems you all had!! love it!

Amber Blue Bird said...

Fun stuff, wish I could have been there

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

These are amazing photos, Starr! Probably my favorite ones out of all of them! You're amazing - you southern belle you. I couldn't wait to get home too - NYC is too crazy. It's funny how we all get accustomed to our lifestyles wherever they may be! It was so lovely to hang out with you and meet you. I'll have to make a trip to Arkansas sometime! And if you're ever in Michigan, you know where to go! ;)
xo

Emily, Ruby Slipper Traveller said...

I'm glad you feel that way (about blogging). I feel that so many people are just in such a rush to brand everything about themselves, and lose sight of the fact that blogs should be a reflection of life... if that makes any sense. And that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in learning these "good tips!"

Emily, Ruby Slipper Traveller said...

Hrmm, I think what I meant is that it's the personal touch that draws us to blogs in the first place, and sometimes that gets lost in the sea of free clothing!

genevieve, sandbox romance said...

Your recap was adorable, and so sweet! I love how you took things away from the Chcitopia conference, but aren't going to change yourself because of it. You go, girl! Yea, I'm lame. Love the pictures!

arnique said...

I wish we could have more blogger meet-ups in Manila. But I think that formalizing everything and turning it into a commercial package removes a lot of the whys and hows of individual bloggers. Just do what you want and we'll still be here reading and enjoying your thoughts.

A from A + B in the Sea

arnique said...

I wish we could have more blogger meet-ups in Manila. But I think that formalizing everything and turning it into a commercial package removes a lot of the whys and hows of individual bloggers. Just do what you want and we'll still be here reading and enjoying your thoughts.

A from A + B in the Sea

Mamushka Marie said...

love the photos. you all look totally adorable.

Mel said...

Wow looks like you had a blast! Thanks for sharing all these pictures, they look great! Haha I wish I could have gone! I'm also loving all the shades of brown in your outfit!

Annie @ Wiloh said...

Ohh, the Miranda July "Heavy Things" installation! Very cool. I love her.

Little Monarch said...

bahahah this is not the first hole my finger has been in... I need to visit this pole too lol x

Sarah with an "h" said...

I loved reading this post, Starr. First off, I know what you mean about the southern accent. I don't think mine is very thick but when I went up to Alaska for the first time last year I got comments on my use of "y'all" and "fixin'." I think "fixin'" is a Texas thing, though. Anyway, it sounds like you had a great time. I would love to be able to meet all these bloggers I've come to love recently. Maybe one day.

:o)Sarah